Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What's next?

Ok. Forgive my pity-party, but what is life going to throw at us next? Does everything have to hit at once? I have a note saying I don't have to play. I'll call my mom! Seriously!

To add to the lovelies of kidney stones (dirty little buggers...) I now have a new fun tidbit to share. I took my glucose test on Monday afternoon. I thought it was going to be easy sailing as it turned out to be a fasting test. I ended up being awake with sick Hannah all night and didn't eat until dinnertime Monday. So we jotted to Yakistan, took the test and came home. Oh yeah...the drink is just as nasty as I remember. It's pretty bad when the drink burns on the way down because of the sugar taste. Ick! Hannah was sitting on my lap trying to mooch a sip. Poor kid! I didn't dare let her try it! They told me that they would get results Wed/Thurs and would call if something were amiss.

Anyway, I got a call today saying I have to come in for the 4 hour test as my sugar was too high. By a lot too high. So much for my fasting levels. The nurse also said that my iron was practically non-existent which would explain my constant tiredness. I read up on gestational diabetes and found that it is not so bad if controlled with diet/exercise and insulin if needed. I would dearly love for this all to be a fluke and am holding out hope that things will be ok. It seems so odd since I have been trying to be careful to eat healthy and do more active things. I did lose those 7lbs in 2 weeks, but I thought that was due to being sick. I guess I have a selfish indignation to be offended by something that a lot of women everywhere have to deal with. I will have to adjust my attitude I guess. *sigh* I would dearly love to avoid those lovely insulin shots though...hmmm...maybe I can bribe the lab tech to magically fix everything.

Thanks for attending my pity party. I know God will work his way in things but it sure feels like all this stuff is dumping at once. I need my jammies, a week off, my Mommy and my der ders. I would say some ice cream but sweets and food in general has been gross. Maybe a chick flick and the above-mentioned. :)

Hope you all are well! Glad to hear about the progress of your babies, jobs, schooling and family stuff. Thanks for posting often too! It helps bridge the gap since we don't see each other regularly anymore. Love you guys!

2 comments:

Erica said...

#*&$^!%$#&*%^()@^()~! Not the old fasting-lets-vampire-you-four times-drink-this-nasty-concoction because-we-think-you-really-like- it-deep-down-can-we-make-this-any-more-fun-visit!! That would REALLY suck if you had gestational diabetes but at least it's supposed to only be for a short while...and the iron should be easily corrected which would provide more energy to keep up with Hannah pooping in dark corners and slipping into the bathroom to play in the cold, clear waters of the John. Can't WAIT to descend upon your house tomorrow and chat/bug/harrass you and catch up on "the latest". I'm praying for ya Sis! Love, Der Der

Carlson Family said...

Thanks for the prayers. :) It will more than likely be nothing, but I still don't want to have to eat my fingernails for the next week! WHY!??!?! Guess we can't have everything right? Hugs! See you soon! Can't WAIT to see everyone this weeked! And yay for your surgery!!!